Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Last words

Dear reader,

I am in the middle of watching "How I Met Your Mother". I know the show is long since over, but I am trekking my way through what seems like an endless supply of episodes.
I have watched a few episodes today, but one of them was heavier than the average half hour sitcom. There's a character on the show named Marshall, and in tonight's episode, Marshall's dad died. In the episode, Marshall had a voice mail from his dad, left on the day he passed away and Marshall was FREAKING OUT. Once he listened to the voice mail, whatever his dad said, those would be his dad's last words to him.

Have you ever thought about that? 

Think about the last week of your life... I mean really think about it... I'll wait.

Is everything that you've said to people been uplifting? Has every comment you've made, phrase that's escaped your lips been productive or helpful in some way? Has it been loving?

Let me just have a real moment here, sweet reader, my answer would undoubtedly be heck no! I've never really been overly concerned with the thought of "last words", but as I sit here thinking about it, I start to worry. What's the last thing I said to you, dear reader? There's no one on my friends list that I don't know in real life. I don't have an "internet friends", so it's time to think back...

What's the last thing I said to you? Was it positive? Was it rude or sarcastic? Was it sassy? Was it sweet?

I guess the point of this post is to reiterate what our parents have been telling us since we were kids...

Think before you speak

Because the next thing you say to someone could be the last thing you say to someone. 

Make it count.

No comments:

Post a Comment