Sunday, November 27, 2011

Dr. Brantley

I had an interesting conversation today with someone, and it's been on my mind ever since.

I went to Starbucks this morning, and I saw Dr. Brantley. He was my dad's pulmonologist (lung doctor) when my dad was at Summerlin Hospital. He was in line ahead of me, and I wasn't planning on saying anything because I figured that he's had hundreds of patients, and that he wouldn't remember me at all. Well, I was mistaken. When he turned around, he smiled and said hey, and asked how I'd been.

I was surprised he remembered me at all. Lol. It was a pleasant surprise actually. Though, obviously my dad is no longer around, our experience at Summerlin was amazing. The staff, everyone from doctors to nurses to orderlies... everyone was amazing and concerned and sweet to us.

Dr. Brantley asked me how everything was going, and how everyone in my family was. He didn't remember everyone's names, but he remembered my face,and some of the details of my dad's case... It was crazy. It almost made me feel... better. Thanksgiving was hard, because my dad wasn't there, so some comfort, even from a stranger, was awesome.

Anywho. So Dr. Brantley and I chatted for just a few more minutes, but he seemed genuinely interested in making sure that I was doing okay. He asked if I had taken advantage of any of the grief counselling classes that the hospices offer. I told him that I'd tried a couple of things, but that I hadn't really followed through on anything.

It was such an awesome conversation. It was only a few minutes, but we talked about dealing with the grief, how bottling it up can actually hurt a lot more than it seems like. He asked me what the hardest part about the whole situation was, and I told him that besides the obvious point that my father was no longer around, that the hardest part was making all of the decisions. Signing papers and making life and death decisions for someone who's unconscious and can't make decisions for themselves. It's something I never thought I'd have to do. It's something I don't think ANYONE should ever have to do.

I am amazingly appreciative that Dr. Brantley took time out of his busy schedule to help me. :)

Love you friends.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment