Thursday, January 16, 2014

Important People. Part Four.

Tonight's post, sweet reader, is about Mrs. Victoria Ligon.

During the summer between seventh and eighth grades, my mom and I moved into a new house, and I tranfered schools from Molasky Junior High to Leavitt Middle School. I decided to join choir in the hopes of blending in, and getting through my last year of middle school unscathed. I didn't really know anyone, so I figured choir was a place I could blend in, and I had always like to sing. Win/win, right?

The first day I walked in, and met Mrs. Ligon, the director, I knew this year was going to be unlike any other. We did our warm ups, did amazing songs and bonded as a family. After winter break, we began to prepare for our spring recital. Mrs. Ligon decided on a bunch of songs, some of which made a medley of songs from the hit movie "My best friend's wedding". 

This is where it gets real. Mrs. Ligon held me after class one day, and strongly suggested that I audition for one of the solos in the medley. I started having a panic attack right then and there, but I had never felt so drawn to do something before. I knew this was my chance, my moment. 

The day came. That fateful Friday, and those who wanted to audition, did. I sang my heart out, but I spent all weekend wishing, hoping, thinking, praying (pun intended) and wondering what the outcome would be.

I got the solo. 

I practiced day and night for 3 months, and then came the night of the big spring recital. The notes on the piano began to play, and there was a build up to the moment when I was to sing my heart out in front of a couple hundred of my closest friends, families and complete strangers. 

I sang. I remembered all of the words. My timing was right where it needed be. And best of all, I didn't faint or throw up! It was a personal victory! 

If Mrs. Ligon hadn't invested in me, and hadn't pushed me out of my comfort zone, I wouldn't have tried out. If I hadn't tried out, I wouldn't have shown off my voice in front of all of those people. And if I hadn't broken out of my shell at that point, I don't know where I'd be today.

It's funny. 

As I'm typing this post, I can still remember all of the lyrics and notes of that solo! Ha! This makes me smile! If you see me around in the next few days and you want to hear it, let me know!!

Until next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment