Sunday, January 19, 2014

Life lessons.

I have had four major jobs in my lifetime, and each of them has taught me something. 

My first job was at an optometrist's office in Summerlin. I filed papers. I registered new patients. I answered phone. Very straightforward. Towards the end of this job, I started being the person that calls and notifies people when their glasses or contacts are ready to be picked up. In doing this, I got to talk to and hear the stories of hundreds of people. What did I learn at this job, you ask? Well, simply that everyone has a story. People are out in your life for a reason and if someone older and wiser is telling you something, you do well to sit up and pay attention. 

My second job was at the YMCA. I worked there a long five years, and loved every minute of it. It was my first major dose of "other people's kids", and where I started thinking about my future. At sixteen, living anywhere in the world (but especially Las Vegas) there is temptation. Boys are good looking and charming, and nine time out of ten, want one thing. We all know what I mean here, right? Well, when I was sixteen, working at the Y, my life was no different. There were pressures all the time. Staff members. YMCA members. It was like my own dramatic small town. But going to work, and spending ten hours a day with those kids taught me one VALUABLE lesson. That I, Whitney, was not ready for kids. It sounds like a simple lesson, but something every sixteen year old should experience. 

My third job, which I had for only a year a half was at a charter school called Imagine Valle (Now, Quest Academy). I was in charge of the admin offices for the kindergarten site, and ran the afterschool program on top of everything else. During this job, my dad was sick in the hospital, and therein lies my lesson. Even now, I tend to keep myself busy. I don't like having a lot of down time. I don't spend a lot of time at home. I'm usually only here to sleep and shower, BUT that period of my life was SO busy, that there was a point in time where it all came crashing down. I quit my job. I'd never quit anything before. I spent seven hours a day sitting bedside in Summerlin hospital, skipping meals and lacking sleep. I took absolutely no time for myself, because in my mind, everyone else's needs were more important than my own. But on the last day I worked at Valle, I told my kids I was leaving. I didn't tell them beforehand, because I wasn't sure what their reaction would be. But I was surprised. They cried. They cried off and on for three hours, and I didn't understand why. I eventually talked to one of the oldest boys, and he told me that I had been their favorite. I had impacted them in such a way that the thought of me not being there made them sad and angry. My lesson from this job was a two - parter. Firstly to prioritize the important things. And secondly, to appreciate the little things. 

And lastly, my current job. I work at Shadow Hills Preschool in the front office doing a million and one things on a daily basis. I am always busy. Life is hectic and never endingly full of things to do. But there are moments, sweet moments, when I get to talk to one of the kids and hear them laugh. When I'm having a bad day, or a sad day, they're always there. They're always there to make me smile. Even the ones that just... Drive me crazy. I never go to work, and leave without having smiled at least once. My lesson from my job? Love what you're doing, or don't do it. 

Thanks for reading tonight, dear reader. 

Love ya. 













No comments:

Post a Comment